It’s easy to switch the Do Not Disturb feature on and off using the main Settings screen or in the Control Centre, but to make the most of this feature, you need to dig deeper. You can block all incoming notifications to stop calls, texts, and other intrusions and have it automatically activate when you’re driving. You can auto-reply to incoming messages too.
Setting up Do Not Disturb
1. Open the settings, then click Do not disturb. Here, you can manually set “Do Not Disturb” or set it to turn on and off automatically according to a preset schedule that can be set as needed. Switch on the Scheduled option if you wish to do this.
2. To change the time, please turn on the “Scheduled Time” switch and use the “Start/Finish Time” connection below it. Then click the sender and use the dial to set its opening time, then click to and set the end time. When finished tap to go back to the main app settings.
3. Tap Allow Calls From and you can choose to allow calls from certain groups in your Contacts app to get through, even when your phone is on Do Not Disturb. Turn on Repeated Calls and if someone rings again within three minutes of their last call, they will get through.
4. When Do Not Disturb is on, a Moon icon and notification is shown on the iPhone’s Lock screen. Tap this notification and a pop-up appears, inviting you to turn off the Do Not Disturb feature. You can also turn it off using Control Centre or Settings, of course, but the Lock screen might be quicker.
5. In Do Not Disturb mode, your iPhone doesn’t light up, ring or vibrate while on the Lock screen. Alarms still sound, so if you have set one using the Clock or other such application, it still goes off at the appropriate time.
Notifications still arrives, but silently.
Do Not Disturb While Driving
1. You can activate Do Not Disturb While Driving manually or have it come on when your phone is connected to in-car Bluetooth devices. You can also have it activate automatically when you’re in a moving vehicle, or through CarPlay.
2. You can add an option for Do Not Disturb While Driving to Control Centre. This is ideal if it automatically activates when you’re a passenger in a vehicle and want to use your telephone.
Dim Lock Screen
In Settings > Do Not Disturb, turn on Scheduled and then Dim Lock Screen. This dims the Lock Screen, blocks calls and silences notifications until the scheduled time ends.
Using the Control Centre
You can begin Do Not Disturb from the Control Centre. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen, or down from the top right corner on an iPhone, to reveal the Control Centre and tap the Do Not Disturb the symbol (moon) to turn the feature on and off.
Do Not Disturb on your Apple Watch
If you have an Apple Watch, you can activate Do Not Disturb directly from your wrist. Just swipe up from the bottom of the watch face to get the control panel and tap the Do Not Disturb icon as shown. This activates Do Not Disturb on both your watch and your phone.